Monday, February 15, 2016

Star Wars Stuff

This past week I have been working like crazy on a really fun project. A friend of mine is having a baby, and she's due next month. They're having a boy, and they've decided on a Star Wars themed nursery. How cool is that?! So she's asked me to knit her some themed baby gear!!

I powered through the Yoda baby sweater, and I'm very happy with it. I used KnitPicks Brava Worsted in Camel Heather, and I am really impressed. This yarn is pretty sweet. It's soft and squishy, and a dream to work with, especially compared to more common acrylic. It comes in a wide range of colors, and is surprisingly well priced. At $2.99 per 218 yards, it's pretty cost effective. Comparatively, Vanna's Choice is $4.39 for 121 yards and, shhhh...I think the Brava is softer.

This is not a paid endorsement. However, should any yarn company like to send me yarn to review, I'd be MORE than happy to do this. Just putting that out there.


Anyway, The sweater is now almost complete. All I need to do is the i-cord ties, and block the edge. I'm also working on a Yoda hat, also in Brava, but this time in Bulky and the color Avocado. I'm working on the gauge swatch for that.

It's the last part of this project that I'm most excited about. I am knitting a Death Star blanket. Yup. But, being the little bit of crazy that I am, I wanted to make sure that the Death Star is perfectly round. so I'm knitting it round, from the center out, much like EZ's Pi Shawl. But I don't want the final blanket to be round, I want the final blanket to be square. I have not seen anywhere a pattern in knitting that starts round and ends square, or lace. I feel like lace can do weird things like that, but I don't want it lacy. This is, after all, THE DEATH STAR!

More pictures to come as things progress. But for now...

This is your Captain, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment